March 13, 2012

Information Aesthetics: Part I

Make a 3D "thing" out of paper, they said.
Only straight lines and folds, they said.
No glue or tape, they said.

We were given images like ones seen here to be inspired by - but at this stage I feel that the word "inspire" has passed its use-by date having been used at least three times per lecture or studio.

At first I began with folding the paper randomly ("inspired" by the dynamics of the image which involved a lot of random peaks and lines), then in favor of contrast I folded the paper as evenly as i could, creating a triangular tessellation all across the piece of paper - order vs disorder. This allowed me to shape and fold the paper into 3D(ish) shapes. These won't be uploaded right now because they're pretty much scrunched up bits of paper.

So where did I go next?

Paper is funny in that it seems to be one of the greatest of great inventions of man, yet about four folds and creases later, it turns to mush. Messy, unmanageable and plagued with split ends. Like my hair. So this is when I decided to score the paper lightly to get these folds, without having to manhandle the "thing".

Result:
The different angles creating different depths.

a closeup

Heavy Rain?

Split - Shoddy Craftsmaship ft. Low Qual. Could make some epic scale models of terrains using this technique.

Still not happy though. Too messy. Too planar. Must investigate further.

No comments:

Post a Comment