June 18, 2012

Oh Boy - long post

Where do I begin?

First by regretting not having done posts throughout this assignment because now it's going to be difficult to explain my work. However, I think this last-minute-effort concept ties in really well with this.

My original concept for "industrial design" began with the group brainstorming, and as we all know, that went down the drain. Afterwards, I struggled to find alternate ideas for this project and began thinking in a more holistic way abotu design in general. This came to a point where I was willing to do the entire project in frame-by-frame, hand-drawn animation.

This idea was good. But I still did not like it, which is why I think I had come to a halt in production.

I was no longer satisfied with not only the quantitative output of my efforts, but the qualitative. The issue I was drawing about was unoriginal, cliche and expected. The initial idea being that one should let design take you places and that one should not be bound to a metaphorical box, or a grid composition in terms of imagination and creativity. Having said that, if I had thought of a different way to illustrate this idea, I may have produced a decent piece of work. However, I did not like the idea in the first place. I was stuck.

Another huge issue for me was incorporating industrial design into the clip as the methods of doing so were also cliche. I could foresee countless industrial design students filming in "industrial" environments, experimenting with materials and all those other things that come to mind. Expectations are not to be met, but exceeded - in my opinion, of course.

Back to me being stuck like Augustus Gloop up a chocolate drainage pipe.

From here on I thought of ways to reinvigorate my neural synapses, to see if I could think of a better concept. By this I mean that I sat around procrastinating - no longer animating my original narrative, eating, sleeping, browsing the net... It was fruitless and a complete waste of time. I read the brief over and over again, unable to trigger any creative response. This went on for days - a majority of this project and there I was. At the studio. After the "break" had started. With nothing but food-related rubbish and a blank piece of paper in front of me.

The paper wasn't actually blank, it was a blue graphing paper that I had purchased with the intention of using it in my initial animation. Little did I know that this would become the backdrop of my final clip.

James (the tutor), if you took the time to read this entire novel (almost) then you will surely know from my final clip that it is NOTHING like what I had been working in class. I am going to say, right now, that this IS my development.

Usually I loathe "development". Sure, initial ideas aren't perfect but with me if I find a fault in my concept, I will probably start all over again. So with this in mind, I will now begin uploading the work I was doing, then begin explaining how I ended up where I am at now. There. Development.

Long post, heres a potato

No comments:

Post a Comment