June 18, 2012

New World Order

Psychology is my minor.
Just so you know.

And here is a post with some of my ideas on what INDN + PSYC =.

By the last week of this project I became increasingly frustrated at my lack of motivation. And as I sat around at the desk, being disappointed in myself, it hit me.

As Max Ernt once said (I can't cite this or confirm that he actually said this, by the way), "All good ideas arrive by chance." And while I do admit, the idea behind my final clip isn't good, I would much rather submit this than some cliche narrative animation I found dull and uninteresting.

Also I'll quickly mention now, how were we supposed to "cite" the 300 words in APA style? What is there to cite? I should've asked this long ago. But then again, I should've done a lot of things.

Please consider the following my official 300ish words.

So, my realization.

Is it just me that goes through this horrible, painful process of mental stasis? I don't know. So I decided to make a film about it. Documenting the final days of this project, spent both at the studio and at home. This was, in fact, a study of the effects of the environment of the mental stability of a design student. This was the idea that kept me going for the last couple of days.

So what is the relationship between the environment and the output, or achievements of those in it? The environment for this experiment was quite mundane. The environment I was immersed in was typical of a 20-year-old female living in idle surburbia to be. Constant access to internet, food, chilled and warm beverages; the ease of getting to and from school; the thought of a deadline not yet triggering the reaction it needed to.

The final clip illustrates the frustration involved with having come to a complete halt in creative mental functions. It also deals with the nature of an individual within a bubble that let nothing out, and nothing in. It deals with the consequences of procrastination and the idea that there are always a select few that dares to challenge the brief in all disciplines. The idea that I found a "new way of seeing" came in real-time as it was only after I had seen the random footage of my workspace that it hit me. I decided to focus on the psychological warfare within one's own mind, rather than purely industrial design.

I would have liked to spent more time on filming this clip and I would like to make this clip into a longer short film that investigates the creative process more thoroughly.

The background music is Les Jours Tristes, by Yann Tiersen, and I was lucky enough to have permission from Yann and his team to use this song for my clip. Special thanks to Matt McGreevey from Anti-Records US for being especially helpful with this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment